#blahvsfood goes to Ishara, Mumbai




I knew that the front of house team at Ishara is speech and hearing impaired. But I wanted to judge the restaurant first and foremost for the food, and I am always sceptical about Indian food places in Mumbai. Having spent 5 years in Delhi, I am forever complaining about the lack of body in the gravies, the poor grilling of the meats, the lack of textural depth in the kababs. 

Ishara didn’t have any of these issues. I had a largely North Indian meal of such flavour, I could well have been in a superb place in Delhi. The chaats were crispy and not soggy despite being served at the table, packed full of crunch and bursting with flavour. The dahi kabab had that perfect sweet sourness, the mushroom galouti was shockingly meaty and I needed second helpings of the melt in mouth lamb dori Kabab. I also loved the heartiness of the curries and gravies and I liked how the gulab jamun vanilla panacotta was recognisably a Gulab Jamun.

But having spoken about the food, what really makes Ishara special is the staff. To see people who have faced life’s unfairness go about their work with a smile really gives you perspective on your own issues and how much you make of them. I have so much respect towards Ishara for allowing their team to not just be treated with the dignity they deserve but to actually demonstrate that they are as capable of work as any other person, and often better. It is a place that inspires you, that teaches you something, that fills your heart with joy. 
To have eaten here was a gift. 
Thank you!

I ate: 

Cocktail 
All Spice Old Fashioned 
*Chaats*
Dahi Puri 
Paani Puri
Sweet Potato Chaat

*Grills*
Lamb Dori Kebab
Amritsari Fish Tikka 
Beetroot papad Sheekh 
Mushroom Galouti
Paneer Dori Kebab
Dahi kebab
  

*Mains* 
Lotus root kofta 
Pressure Cooker Chicken 
Raw Mango Prawn Curry 
Mango Pineapple Curry 
Dal Haveli 
Kashmiri Tehari
Breads 


*Dessert*
Gulab Jamun Vanilla Pannacotta

Comments