Alchemy, Bangalore

I had gone to alchemy for a drink in Jan and was surprised at how good the two dishes we had were. So I decided to go back and try and and eat a bit more and see how I felt. 



Beer first. I really liked their coffee stout, almost like drinking a cold press coffee mixed with beer. The wit felt really watered down though and didn’t have any body.

On to the food:
  • A good bean curd vada that reminded me of a dahi kabab in a taco

  • Applewood smoked chicken kabab where was almost like an Indian fried chicken with a nice sweet smokiness


  • A podi mushroom that could have done with better mushroom and more intense flavour of podi. I’m not sure they really went together


  • Kerala beef roast. This was excellent. It came in a fluffy, slightly sweet bun that was almost like a bao. The beef itself was really authentic but mixed with a curd and honey cream that was almost like an Indian mayonnaise. The sweetness of bun and the creaminess of the curd really cut through the spiciness of the beef without detracting from it. I thought this was excellent.

  • A duck samosa where the crust was almost like a phyllo pastry. Very soft and light, not oily and heavy and the meat itself had almost a haleem/pate like texture

Prawn ghee roast

  • Chilli chocolate Sheekh kabab

  • For dessert I had a really good gondhoraj lemon mousse. Subtle, not too sweet, light with great textures.

On the whole this is a place that surprised me. I’m not saying it’s an exceptional restaurant. But it’s much better food than any brewery I’ve been to other than Windmills and even as a bar, I would say that only Permit Room is as good in Bangalore.

Comments