Mango Cheesecake and Memories of Spiga


Talk to Bangaloreans of a certain vintage about Spiga and you get a predictable reaction. Their eyes suddenly light up, then they look into the distance, and with a sigh and in a wistful tone they say “that mango cheesecake...”. 

The mango cheesecake served at the long shuttered Spiga was probably the most loved and celebrated dessert in Bangalore in the mid 2000’s. They weren’t actually made by the restaurant but by a lady called Anju Guptha and her co sister Sabina Guptha. For some reason, they stopped providing it to Spiga at some stage and the restaurant (unsurprisingly) shut soon after.

For well over a decade, I’ve tried to find a similar mango cheesecake but to no avail. I’ve had some decent ones but nothing that came remotely close to the Spiga version. In desperation and having abandoned all hope of ever having it ever again, my wife started making a version of it last year, and through a process of trial and memory finally ended up with a version of it that was similar.

Recently, my friend Chatura Padaki sent me a menu from a dessert delivery place called crumble saying that it was started by the person who provided desserts for Spiga. I looked at the menu and there it was.. a mango cheesecake. My heart skipped a beat. It couldn’t be, could it? I messaged them on Instagram and asked them straight up if they were the same. And turns out, it was! Started by Anju’s daughter Bhaavika Guptha with her mother, the menu didn’t just have the famous mango cheesecake (in a contemporary looking jar) but a bunch of other treats as well. I booked 4 jars of mango cheesecake and a jar of Oreo cheesecake for the next day. 

After 24 hours, all I can say is all you old timers in Bangalore... you can thank me later. Or better yet, thank Chatura. Or best of all, go and order a jar of happiness right now! 



Comments

Very good information.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Best Family Restaurant in Greater Noida in low price and serve best and tasty food you can check our price, photos, menu, reviews for our restaurants in Justdial,zomato and swiggy Yuturn Provide Pure Vegetarian Food neat and clean services. You are..
indian food restaurant in greaternoida
indian food restaurant near pari chowk
indian foods restaurant near me
restaurant in greater noida