#blahvsfood finds Bohri food in Bangalore

The Bohra Bohra Thaal 

In my Mumbai days, I remember going to our friend Mehazabin Sarela’s house for some extraordinary food, my first exposure to Bohri food. In more recent years, I would go eat at the legendary Nafisa’s auntie’s home to share a Bohri thaal with strangers in what her son Munaf Kapadia eventually built into the immensely successful Bohri Kitchen. However, Bangalore always seemed like a bit of a desert to me when it came to Bohri food.


So last week when I saw a few posts about a Bohri Nihari in Bangalore I had to get details and order. I got in touch with the super helpful Rehana from The Bohra Bohra Thaal and ordered two plates of Nihari and sheermal for myself. The meat fell off the bone like all good Nihari should and the gravy was silky and buttery and spicy, as authentic as it gets. Although I would have loved a freshly baked Khameeri Roti like they make next door to Barah Handi in Mumbai’s Bohri Mohalla, the sweetness of the sheermal went surprisingly well with the nalli and the break soaked up the gravy beautifully.


I also had a lovely doodhi halwa, not too sweet and with the bottle gourd had a really lovely, soft chewiness. 


Next up, I’m going to order the khichda, the raan and the white chicken biryani (which I will compare to the one at Noor Mohammadi near Minara Masjid in Mumbai... so no pressure 😝) 


#blahvsfood #food #bohri #bohrifood #nihari #bangalore #bangalorefoodies #bangalorediaries

Comments