Quick reactions to the Asia’s 50 best Awards


Congrats to Odette for winning Asia’s 50 best twice in a row. I wrote about it recently and I think it’s excellent but I don’t think that it’s Asia’s best restaurant. 

I haven’t been to Seoul and Hong Kong so my perspective is incomplete but I have been to 8 of the top 15 so it does have some basis. 

In the absence of Gaggan Anand who has taken a hiatus from this award, the best restaurant in Asia is undoubtedly Den where Zaiyu Hasegawa is reinventing and adding rock and roll to Japanese fine dining. 
That being said, while I don’t agree with most of these lists and award ceremonies, this one really gets things more right than wrong.

I was happy to see Indian Accent continue its global rise. And I know Gaa is based in Bangkok but I do feel pride at Garima Arora’s meteoric growth. It’s also great to see Bukhara’s continued excellence and Masque start making an international mark.
Among the newer entities it’s good to see Inua and Nouri make the list. Inua is one of the best new restaurants in the world while Nouri cooks clean, unfussy food that defies geographical classification.

I do feel there are many Indian restaurants good enough to be on the list. Masque of course but also Avartana, Bomras, Karavalli and at least 3-4 more. It’s hard in India. Restaurants like O’Pedro and Bombay Canteen aren’t seen as “fine dining” because they have to deal with market realities like liquor contribution and ABP.
But it will happen. We just need to be fearless, and not just brave. And to support each other and not behave like crabs. If we do, our moment in the sun will be here and soon! 

Comments