Robben Island, the sacrifices fighting apartheid and a reminder of what our ancestors in India fought for





I was 11 or 12 years old when I had to put together a project on Nelson Mandela for school. Ever since he has always inspired me so I was really looking forward to visiting Robben Island.



The experience was inspiring and moving, but it was also eye opening. It made me realise that the struggle against apartheid was about so much more than Mandela. It really brought home the sacrifices made by so many people across so many decades, not just the leaders of the ANC but ordinary people, young activists who lost their youths, the best years of their lives fighting for a better future for their people. 



It reminded me of the sacrifices made by India’s freedom fighters, fighting for a country where the rights and dignity of every Indian were respected and protected. 



Visiting Robben Island was a reminder that even though I have suffered because of my standing up for those values, my sacrifices are small compared to our forefathers. Like in South Africa we owe it to those who came before us to being countries that are shining examples to the world of harmony, diversity, inclusivity and how all our communities collectively strengthen and uplift us together. 



#blahontheroad #apartheid #aparthistory #southafrica #prison #history #robbenisland @robben_island 

Comments