Shillong Style Momos by Rita Blah


Momos in the North East really do taste different from anywhere else and expect for the 90s in Majnu Ka Tila and Chanakya Cinema in Delhi, I’ve never had Shillong style momos anywhere else. More hearty than the dim sums we get at fancier restaurants, but made with more thought and skill than the momos that are ubiquitous across the country, they are one of my hometown’s great food treasures. Momos in Shillong just seem to have more flavour, more soul, more juicy meatiness and better accompaniments than anywhere else. 

So I’m taking advantage of my mother being in town to indulge in all my nostalgia cravings. Pork mince with extra fat mixed in with it. Steamed above a thupka (broth) boiled with pork bones and whole spring onions and then with the broth served separately as an accompaniment. Along with a spicy chutney of dry red chillies 

Comments

Kausik said…
It would be nice to have the recipe